Some signs are too great to let fade away. Here is a collection of the best sign restorations in the city of San Francisco.

425 Potrero. An incredibly beautiful restored Shasta sign as shot from the adjacent gas station. Sure, the sign is north facing and has been repainted at least once and gets no direct sunshine but it's AMAZING and so well preserved.  Founded in 1931, Shasta Soda originally focused on alcoholic mixers, branching out into sodas in the mid 1950's. The "It hasta be a Shasta" slogan dates to that time period as well.

425 Potrero. An incredibly beautiful restored Shasta sign as shot from the adjacent gas station. Sure, the sign is north facing and has been repainted at least once and gets no direct sunshine but it's AMAZING and so well preserved.

Founded in 1931, Shasta Soda originally focused on alcoholic mixers, branching out into sodas in the mid 1950's. The "It hasta be a Shasta" slogan dates to that time period as well.

188 Taylor. Refurbished by Precita Eyes Murals, this project was  funded by a Community Challenge Grant  and overseen by the Tenderloin Housing Clinic.  Par-T-Pak, distributed by Nehi Beverage Company, was a line of quart, or "family sized" sodas sold between 1933 and 1954. These bottles were returnable and came in a variety of flavors such as Orange Soda, Ginger Ale, Tom Collins Mixer, Club Soda, Cherry Soda, Cola, Sparkling Water, and Root Beer.  Another Par-T-Pak sign used to be on  Valencia  but was painted over.  Photo of the Hotel Warfield  (but not this signage) from 1926.

188 Taylor. Refurbished by Precita Eyes Murals, this project was funded by a Community Challenge Grant and overseen by the Tenderloin Housing Clinic.

Par-T-Pak, distributed by Nehi Beverage Company, was a line of quart, or "family sized" sodas sold between 1933 and 1954. These bottles were returnable and came in a variety of flavors such as Orange Soda, Ginger Ale, Tom Collins Mixer, Club Soda, Cherry Soda, Cola, Sparkling Water, and Root Beer.

Another Par-T-Pak sign used to be on Valencia but was painted over. Photo of the Hotel Warfield (but not this signage) from 1926.

601 Tompkins. This was quite the controversial restoration in 2012. A corner story turned family home was remodeled revealing a faded Coca Cola sign along the side. The owner paid to have it restored and preserved, a move that was unpopular with some neighbors who saw it as blatant advertising.   https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SF-s-Bernal-Heights-in-uproar-over-old-Coke-sign-2528929.php

601 Tompkins. This was quite the controversial restoration in 2012. A corner story turned family home was remodeled revealing a faded Coca Cola sign along the side. The owner paid to have it restored and preserved, a move that was unpopular with some neighbors who saw it as blatant advertising. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SF-s-Bernal-Heights-in-uproar-over-old-Coke-sign-2528929.php

2961 16th. Lots of refurbished signs on the side of this old theater. Built in 1908 as a vaudeville hall, The Victoria has also operated under the names Brown's Opera House, El Teatro Victoria, and New Follies Burlesk.   Historical photo  from 1968. Notice that the That Good 44 2 for 15¢ sign was not restored. Info on it's  historical status .

2961 16th. Lots of refurbished signs on the side of this old theater. Built in 1908 as a vaudeville hall, The Victoria has also operated under the names Brown's Opera House, El Teatro Victoria, and New Follies Burlesk.

Historical photo from 1968. Notice that the That Good 44 2 for 15¢ sign was not restored. Info on it's historical status.

1705 Mariposa. Old sign on the side of the Anchor Steam Brewery. Anchor Steam was founded in 1871 by Gottlieb Brekle. Originally a saloon/Brewery on Russian Hill, it was renamed Anchor around 1876. After several locations/owners it moved to Potrero Hill in the 1930's.  The current building was built in 1937 for a local food company and was bought by Anchor Steam in the 1970's.

1705 Mariposa. Old sign on the side of the Anchor Steam Brewery. Anchor Steam was founded in 1871 by Gottlieb Brekle. Originally a saloon/Brewery on Russian Hill, it was renamed Anchor around 1876. After several locations/owners it moved to Potrero Hill in the 1930's.

The current building was built in 1937 for a local food company and was bought by Anchor Steam in the 1970's.

144 Taylor. Refurbished by Precita Eyes Murals, this project was funded by a  Community Challenge Grant  and overseen by the Tenderloin Housing Clinic.  From the layering of the signs it would seem the United Railways Telegraph Sign is more recent than the Coca Cola sign. Not sure when/how the Original Joe's sign factors in but the restaurant was founded in 1937.I love this  pic of the signs  pre-refurbishing.

144 Taylor. Refurbished by Precita Eyes Murals, this project was funded by a Community Challenge Grant and overseen by the Tenderloin Housing Clinic.

From the layering of the signs it would seem the United Railways Telegraph Sign is more recent than the Coca Cola sign. Not sure when/how the Original Joe's sign factors in but the restaurant was founded in 1937.I love this pic of the signs pre-refurbishing.

1 Maritime. The historic site of the Del Monte Plant No 1. Del Monte has been headquartered in San Francisco since 1916. The buildings was built in 1907 by the California Fruit Canners Association (which later became Del Monte Foods). the building was designed to be the world's largest cannery and at it's height employed 2,500 people.  Between 1937 and 1963, the building was used as a warehouses and in 1967 it was converted to a "European-style marketplace" by developer Leonard Martin. In 2003, The National Park Service and the Kimpton Hotel Group renovated the historic warehouse building into a hotel and visitor's center.

1 Maritime. The historic site of the Del Monte Plant No 1. Del Monte has been headquartered in San Francisco since 1916. The buildings was built in 1907 by the California Fruit Canners Association (which later became Del Monte Foods). the building was designed to be the world's largest cannery and at it's height employed 2,500 people.

Between 1937 and 1963, the building was used as a warehouses and in 1967 it was converted to a "European-style marketplace" by developer Leonard Martin. In 2003, The National Park Service and the Kimpton Hotel Group renovated the historic warehouse building into a hotel and visitor's center.

650 Delaney. A really fascinating building with a plethora of ghost signs. As seen above, the main signs says Oriental DePoe Warehouse Company Bond and Free. The word DePoe has been painted over in red and the word oriental has not been maintained/refurbished. On the northern side are  www.flickr.com/photos/kaseysmith/6457420283" target="_blank">two other signs : a faded & partially missing Oriental Warehouse Co. sign (with no mention of DePoe.  The building is a designated landmark, having been built in 1867 by The Pacific Mail Steamship Company as the primary distribution point for mail, coffee, tea, rice, and silk from Asia. Taken over by Southern Pacific Railroad Company in 1893, the company was sold to Grace Line in 1912 when Congress banned ships owned by railroads from using the Panama Canal. Subsequently sold to Robert Dollar and Company and the American President Lines, the Pacific Mail Steamship Co went out of business in 1949.  Pre-Angel Island, the Pacific Mail Steamship Co.'s First Street Wharf was the area's major entry point for Chinese immigrants. With the creation of the Embarcadero in 1910 the wharf was demolished and immigration processing patterns changed for the area.  The building was remodeled into 66 residential loft units in 1996.

650 Delaney. A really fascinating building with a plethora of ghost signs. As seen above, the main signs says Oriental DePoe Warehouse Company Bond and Free. The word DePoe has been painted over in red and the word oriental has not been maintained/refurbished. On the northern side are two other signs: a faded & partially missing Oriental Warehouse Co. sign (with no mention of DePoe.

The building is a designated landmark, having been built in 1867 by The Pacific Mail Steamship Company as the primary distribution point for mail, coffee, tea, rice, and silk from Asia. Taken over by Southern Pacific Railroad Company in 1893, the company was sold to Grace Line in 1912 when Congress banned ships owned by railroads from using the Panama Canal. Subsequently sold to Robert Dollar and Company and the American President Lines, the Pacific Mail Steamship Co went out of business in 1949.

Pre-Angel Island, the Pacific Mail Steamship Co.'s First Street Wharf was the area's major entry point for Chinese immigrants. With the creation of the Embarcadero in 1910 the wharf was demolished and immigration processing patterns changed for the area.

The building was remodeled into 66 residential loft units in 1996.